Monday, January 24, 2011

Washing Dishes and Learning!


My 3-year-old daughter absolutely loves to wash dishes. I use it as a reward for finishing her other school work. Today, I set up a wash station at the big sink in the kitchen. I brought in a variety of her play dishes, filled the basin with a couple inches of water and proceeded to teach.

I asked her to point to the red dishes... the blue... the yellow... and the black.

I then asked her to count the red dishes... the blue... the yellow... and the black.

I then gave her a math word problem. Might as well introduce her to these now...

How many dishes do you have all together?

If mommy takes away the plates, how many dishes do you have left?

This may be a bit much for a 3-year-old on a worksheet, but when she can touch the dishes while she counts-- it is totally possible and enjoyable for her!

I love it when she's learning and she thinks she's playing...




No comments:

Post a Comment